© 2019 OHS MUSEUM

  • 1868 - 1882: the first high school was located on Main Street, located on the corner of Main and Grove.  It was built of wood and was destroyed by a fire on March 5, 1882.  Classes were held in churches and halls until the new school was built.

    • May 1877: the first OHS commencement. The museum has a graduation photo of these students (four boys and three girls).

  • 1883 - 1921: the second high school was built on the same site as the first high school.  Construction began in 1882 and the school opened in the fall of 1883.  It cost $90,000.  Fire destroyed this building on April 29, 1921, at a time when the new high school was already being built on School Street.

    • 1890-91: the curriculum changed from a 3-year to a 4-year academic course.

    • 1894-95: first yearbook ("The Croaker" - named after the poem that was printed in the front of the book about a frog that croaked.)

    • 1906-07: became accredited - one of the first schools in Minnesota.

    • 1920: there was an attic fire on December 19, the damaged was repaired.

  • 1921 - current: the third high school was built nearby on Grove Street; the cost was $575,657.  The cornerstone was laid on September 3, 1920.  The local architects were Jacobson and Jacobson, who were OHS graduates.  The school opened September 14, 1921, with 86 students.  This school is currently proudly being used as the Owatonna Senior High School.

    • 1922: the first graduating class of the new school was held on June 2.

    • Additions were added to the school in 1954, 1955, 1957, 1978 (Auto-Ag Building) and 1998 (Plazas).

A Short History

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now